Thursday, May 7, 2009

Strategies....

Okay, so here's a little update on Bridger: He is doing really well in his 0-3 program and ABC class. He's actually starting to interact a LOT better with people that he is getting to know which I am very greatful for. All he wanted before was Mom, but he's learning to branch off and trust other people which is really giving me a break. He's starting to prefer Daddy over mommy sometimes which kind of makes me sad but I KNOW that I will need that for when the baby comes. He still doesn't say any words at 28 months which kind of breaks my heart (when will I hear him say "mommy" for the first time) but he's learning how to sign a few things. For a long time I had to place my hand over his hand and physically make him do the sign but this past week he has done 2 different signs on his own a couple of different times. "ON", for turning on the TV, and Treat. Imagine that! The 2 things I want to steer him away from!!! But at least he's communicating!!!!! I titled this post strategies because I wanted to show you a few of the things we are doing to try and push him a long. This first picture is a technique that the 0-3 program suggests. It's a little body suit that we put on his arms and tummy that is supposed to help sooth him. So when he's throwing a tantrum we are supposed to hold him firmly and massage him and it's supposed to be soothing. We put it on him every morning for a half hour.
These are all the different products we are trying with him from left to Right. His multi vitamin has DHA in it which is supposed to be a big brain booster and highly recommended. The second one is lemon flavored fish oil that we put in his juice. Same thing I think, more brain food! ( I should have been more prepared to tell you exactly what they are for!!!) The third one is a probiotic that is supposed to help with the digestive system which a lot of "autistic" kids seem to have is what is called "leaky gut" Bad stomaches!. Reliv Now is a health shake that is really nasty that I am supposed to give him 2 big scoops a day. The only thing I can get it in is his oatmeal and waffles. But I have been on a lot of conference calls of success stories with kids that are autistic that are very high functioning from being on the product. And the last one Innergize is another reliv product that is supposed to help when given with the kids now.

This is a little book of pictures on velcro to help him communicate. When he wants something he is supposed to grab the picture then hand it to me, and in return I give him what he wants. Right now he doesn't know how to discriminate between the different pictures so we just use one picture. But this teaches him that it takes 2 way communication to get what he wants, where as right now he is used to just pulling my arm to what he wants and grunts or points, but he doesn't look at me and ask me for it. So basically I am an object to get what he wants.
This was just a cute picture to show that he is starting to interact a lot better with his brother and kids he's getting to know. The 3 amigos were just sitting there eating a popcycle and Bridger sat down and scooted himself up next to them so he could be a part of their group. I was lucky to have my camera with me to get this shot because I didn't set this up at all!
And this is my sweet Bridger that is not a very social boy, but he LOVES the camera!!! He seriously is a ham when it comes to taking his picture. I love it!!!

8 comments:

Megan and Jon said...

I am so glad he is doing better. YOu are such a good mother and patient to just work thru this all. Have you watch signing times? I have a ton of them recorded if you want me to put them on a tape for you. Olivia loved them..

lhhadley said...

So glad that he is doing great! I have been thinking of you. I hope the progress continues:)

Kristen said...

You are a wonderful mommy! The Herald Journal had an article in today's paper that talked about autism. It had some encouraging info...
Have a Happy Mother's Day tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

What neat things he is learning! It sounds like things are going really well - that's great! I am amazed by your patience! You are a great mom!

Amy said...

That is so great for Bridger! You are such a great mom. I love all the pictures of Cord's show off day. Friday was fun I'm glad we went there. Did you get your stuff ordered?

Bells said...

I am so happy to see that he is doing good. He is so lucky to have a great mom like you. Good luck with all of your strategies I know he will come around. I loved learning more about the stuff you are doing.

Kasie said...

Karie that is so neat. I am so glad the signing thing is working. Let me tell you it helped so much with Caymen. You are such a great mom! Your boys are so dang cute. Love the pics of Cord swimming. Cant wait. How are you doing by the way? I hope you are getting some R&R before the new baby comes. And no I didn't cut my hair...It was just a bad hair day so it went into a pony. I love your hair by the way. Looks good on you!

Preece Family said...

Wow! You are such a good mom. I'm so glad he is doing so much better. I have noticed that he at least looks at me and acknowledges me now when I see him. Keep up the good work. Love ya!!